Friday, June 11, 2010

Recent Good Wines




So I've been slacking in my blogging responsibilities.  But this week, Louise and I had three wines worth talking about. 

Earlier in the week, after returning from a camping trip, Louise fried up some beautiful Dover Sole (for sentimental reasons, my very favorite fish....that's another story).  I paired a Raats Family 2008 Original Chenin Blanc from South Africa.  It was crisp and tasted of pears and green apples.  A very light, refreshing wine to pair with a light-flavored fish like Sole, and reasonably priced (~$15)

Then, on Tuesday, it was our Anniversary (#8).  To celebrate, and to help us keep up with our diets, Louise cooked a "light" version of Linguini Carbonara.  I wasn't sure what to pair with this, but ended up going with a sparkling wine from the Vouvray region of France.  When I first started drinking wine in Graduate School, I somehow happened upon Vouvray's wines (made predominantly from Chenin Blanc) and enjoyed them - always a little bit different.  Then I heard of sparkling Vouvray's and just had to try one!  I had one by Champalou several years ago that was enjoyable.  This time I pulled out a 2002 Domaine Huet Brut Vouvray Petillant.  It was a golden color with relatively few bubbles, and offered richer and darker flavors than its non-sparkling cousin.  It went perfectly with the Carbonara.  For another review of this wine, see McDuff's Food and Wine Trail

Finally, last night Louise roasted a turkey breast and served it with Mashed Potatoes and Spinach Pie.  Traditionally, many people would stick with white wine to pair with Turkey, but I've always preferred a light red wine.  So, Beaujolais came to mind (which many people do serve with Turkey at Thanksgiving).  I chose a Georges Duboeuf 2007 Cru du Beaujolais Morgon.  Louise and I both agreed that it was WONDERFUL.  Bright fruit flavors (especially cherries) dominated, but some mild pepper and spice flavors came through on the finish.  At about $12 a bottle, a great value.

No comments:

Post a Comment