Wednesday, December 30, 2009

A Lifetime of Wine

So, for Christmas, my mom got me a copy of 1001 Wines You Must Taste Before You Die, edited by Neil Becket, and published by Universe Publishing in 2008. I also saw the movie Julie and Julia. So, I thought, maybe I should start working my way through the book, although there is no way I can do it in a year, probably not even 10 years. Furthermore, I am not of unlimited means, and so there are some wines in the book I can never HOPE to afford. Nonetheless, it has inspired me to start blogging about the wines I drink. I hope that, over time, I will be able to acquire many of the wines in the book.

A few introductory notes: I am not a wine expert, I'm an economics professor. I enjoy wine, and know a little about wine. Mostly I find it fun to try new wines and enjoy them with my wife and my friends. What stands in as my "collection" of wines is a little odd. The country with the largest representation in my collection is Germany, mostly Rieslings. That is followed by France (mostly reds, largely from the Rhone), and then South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, California, and ... Canada. All told, I have about 100 bottles.

Well, that's my first post. I think this will be fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment