Friday, October 22, 2010

Wolf Blass Yellow Label

I've been trying recently to clean out my collection of bottles that were becoming aged (read: old).  Many of these were never meant to sit for quite so long, so their time has come. 

Long ago, when we lived in Michigan, my wife and I chanced upon a bottle of Wolf Blass Yellow Label Shiraz/Cabernet.  We enjoyed it so much that we bought a few bottles.  I've had the last two sitting around for several years now, and the other night, when she told me steak (my favorite wine food) was on the menu, I decided to pull out one of those bottles (a 2002).  It was slightly peppery, but, more than anything, the feeling I got was "mellow."  All the flavors blended beautifully and I enjoyed it all night. 

The most recent vintage that I found reviewed, the 2005, scores an 85 from wine enthusiast with these notes: "This 60-40 blend features gentle aromas of vanilla and cassis in a medium-bodied, creamy-smooth format. It’s not powerful or complex, but offers pure cassis and vanilla flavors tinged with chocolate on the finish. Good value. "  I agree!

No comments:

Post a Comment